How to add corkscrew plates to the inside of a concrete truck mixer drum

CMX10_ASM-01.zip (1.7 MB)

I am looking for some information on methods to add corkscrew plates to the inside of a concrete truck mixer drum. So far I have created the mixer drum but I am not sure how best to proceed. I have attached a zip file with all the parts and assembly. If anyone can give me some guidance or insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In a past life, i was actually a drum engineer for a mixer manufacturer, but I never actually was able to use solidworks in my designs there. So i guess this was fun to see how I would’ve accomplished the task years ago.

First I insert a new part, and just mate the origin of that part to the origin of my assembly. (similar to an in-place mate)

I create a sketch using the inside surfaces of each shell to generate a revolve profile. The sketch will need to meet at the apparent intersections of each transition, so I recommend starting your straight line on each profile, then using the “merge” relation to bring them together.

Once revolved, i have a singular surface to use as a trimmer for the helical path I’ll create next.

I created a plane using the circular profile at the discharge end as my reference.

Then, I create two lines. One line on the aforementioned plane. One line that runs the length of the drum on the “front” plane.

Using the ‘surface sweep’ I can select those two sketches and use the options seen here:

Next i trim the exterior of the sweep using the original surface as the trimmer.

Start a 3D sketch and select the helical curve created by the trim

This sketch will become the “path” used for your surface revolve.

Create a plane and select the end point of the 3D sketch, and the curve as your two inputs. That will place a plane pependicular to your curve.

On this plane I start a sketch and create the profile for my “flight”. Our flights had a curve at the end, so my sketch includes this feature.

Next, execute a surface-sweep. Set the options as shown:

Finally, thicken the surface, the thickness of your plate. I used 5/16".

Technically, if you were actually going to manufacture these, this profile would be split into many peices. Those peices would overlap eachother on one end, so that when they were pulled into place during welding, they could just weld them together front and back.

Cheers,

Tyler